The HISTORY OF TOCUMWAL
AND THE LIBERATOR B24
The Tocumwal Golf Club stands on the site that from 1942 to 1960 was the home of RAAF Station Tocumwal.
aerodrome was built in just l6 weeks by 2,700 construction workers.
608 buildings were erected, including seven giant hangars for 54
Liberator bombers. The three hangars now remaining, are
architecturally significant, being the largest clear-span timber
buildings in Australia.
300 buildings were located over the area
of the present golf course, including RAAF Station Headquarters and
encampment buildings accommodating some 5,000 RAAF and WAAAF personnel.
original brick entry wall and sentry box and RAAF signage located at
the northern entrance to the Golf Course, together with the scale
replica B-24 bomber pole mounted at the Barooga Road entrance, keep alive
the history of those years.
The photographs and history boards
displayed in our upstairs dining room, bear witness to the story of what
was once the biggest aerodrome in the Southern Hemisphere, in the tiny
township of Tocumwal.
Now the best kept secret on the Murray –
the 36 hole Tocumwal Golf Club - is making its name for not only
superb course presentation, but also the friendly welcome extended
to all visitors.
B24 Liberators over-flying Tocumwal in 1942
The B24 Liberator Replica pole mounted at the Tocumwal Golf Club entrance
Section of the Tocumwal Historic Aerodrome Museum on display at the Tocumwal Bowls Club